Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Mini Reveal

12/30/2013--When I told friends at work that I was considering going vegan, they were shocked. I have a reputation for eating lots of food and for being up for trying anything (at least more than my Indiana friends will try). People told me that it was impossible for me to do this; that I would have to give up too much. Some of them couldn't even bring themselves to say "vegan" they just referred to my lifestyle change as "that thing you're doing."

Now, I love these people, but seriously, they are underestimating me, right? I might miss certain animal things, but I'll just find new and interesting foods to eat in their places. No problem.  Or maybe problem. Suddenly, I'm grieving all the things I can't have--pork, cheese, creamer, fish, shrimp, ice cream, baked goods, chocolate, chicken tikka, sushi. Shit. I am in trouble. There IS no way I can do this. Why did I want to any way?

But the idea won't go away. It still feels like something I want to try. For my health, for the way that food animals are treated, for an adventure. So onward we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment